Setting network limits in Social WiFi Panel
In some cases you might want to put some limitations on how the users of your network use your network. Social WiFi dashboard allows you to quickly set speed and volume limits for the data used by people connected to your hotspot.
Do note that the following features only work for MikroTik and Teltonika configurations. The panel settings will have no effect on other on other configurations.
The necessary options can be found in your panel. Scroll down until you see the Network limits tab.
- Press “Edit” within the field
- Session Time determines for how long a device will stay authorized in hotspot, and therefore have access to internet. Time is set in minutes.
- Download Limit tells you how much data each authorized device can receive, before they are disconnected. This limit is set in Megabytes.
- Upload Limit works the same way as Download Limit, but sets how much data a device can upload. It is also set in Megabytes.
- Maximum Download Speed determines the speed with which each device can potentially receive data in ideal conditions. This limit is set in Kilobytes per second.
- Maximum Upload Speed determines the speed with which each device can potentially transmit data in ideal conditions. This limit is set in Kilobytes per second.
- After setting the limits of your choosing, press Save.
Important: MikroTik devices will require Fasttrack to be disable in the router’s configuration. Otherwise, the limits will not work. Please refer to the instructions below in order to disable Fasttrack on your device.
Firstly, you will need to access your MikroTik device via Winbox or Webfig. This instruction will use Winbox.
- From the menu on the left side, go to IP -> Firewall
- Scroll down until you find a rule called defcon: fasttrack
- Select this rule by clicking on it
- Click on the red cross on top of the window to disable the rule
Done! You can now close up the window – your limits will now work properly.
You can also set limits directly on Mikrotik without setting them in Panel.
- On the left side click Queues
- Click blue + sign
- Change name of that queue to SW Limit
- Change Target field to sw
When you see proper window, have in mind that Upload is changed each other with Download. That means setting Download speed will cause the limit to Upload.
The same way is with Upload. Setting limit will cause to Download.
The next thing to . Also
Click OK and it is done!
After that your limits will work as soon as you authorize in hotspot